Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Regret.

Sharing here my efforts at the brief handed out at the beginning of last semester - a challenge involving 8 2D images constructed into a 3D form. Both the images and the form needed to reflect one of 5 states such as: Regret, Delirium, Malevolence, Zeal or Empathy. Each of the 2D images needed to use a different texture that also conveyed the chosen state. For me there wasn't much choice about it. I think about regret a lot. Not just my own personal regrets which can run deep, but also the nature of regret - what it means to live it: can it ever be resolved? And is there anything to be gained from it? I chose a diary as my 3D object, as a place where regrets can be tucked away, and created a book (out of a recycled, cloth bound one on meteorology!) which opened out in a visual timeline - a life time of collecting regrets. I hear people say they don't believe in having regrets and I think really? Is it ever that simple? There are always choices to be made and the wondering if you made the right one. And at some point we need to make peace with regret. These are the ideas I tried to convey. Love to hear others' thoughts on the subject...




6 comments:

  1. I'm really taken with this work, Jo. I think you are absolutely right. In fact, I think regret is a powerful motivating force. How it is woven into us and how it informs our decision making process is a factor that, while it may be unrecognised, is definitely there. Great post :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I've loved all your work I've seen on here but this one is super special. WIth regret, I must say I don't really have any huge, overwhelming, dwelled-upon regrets. (Ok, perhaps crashing my bosses car when I was a nanny and didn't hold a current drivers license - not a highlight, and something I do regret but I've managed to move on. I think. I'd certainly never do it again that's for sure.) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm. I just wrote a post about regret. Regret for leaving my home and moving. Wishing I could go back and make a different decision. I do feel regret. I am not sure that I believe anyone who says that they truly "have no regrets" None of us are perfect. We all have done something in our lives that we wish we could have done differently. Isn't that what regret is? Maybe I'm wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously like this. More pictures. I like the intermingling of the 2d and 3d within the open book space. Regret is something that surely we all experience if we are honest with ourselves?? I know I have said it before but I do like your drawing style :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for causing me a sleepless night!! Ahh regrets, how I treasure them. From the insignioficant - (hmm I should have bought more of those zombie dolls in Malasia..) to the more substantial (ok a science degree??) to the plain old 'what was I thinking..

    love this but you owe me a night sleep now. xx

    PS come over next week, bring Archie's swimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is truly amazing. I love how you have approached your brief. I am one of life's worriers...not sure if I'm full of regret, but I think worry/regret interweaves and can have a strong effect on one's subconsciousness.....causing many a sleepless night for me!

    ReplyDelete