Thursday, November 10, 2011

Have a heart - Installation.





Here are the fruits of my labour for last terms work which looked at the theme of 'intimacy' - through the production of multiple plaster castings - for an installation work on the theme. I know I say this every term but I think this is the hardest I've had to work so far. The process pictures of creating the latex moulds and casting the plaster are below. The first step  - creating the clay positive, which were the hearts themselves, then painting the positives in latex - making sure the 'undercuts' were supported by latex filled cotton wool - nearly did me in. I had the flu at the time and found it all so demanding and finicky (the liquid latex smelt literally toxic) I swore it would be the first and last time I ever made a latex mould. But then when it came to the casting I took my time, just doing one batch of plaster a day, out in the sun, no pressure, and I got excited about what this process can achieve. Making your own mould and then having the option to just reproduce from that opens up a lot of possibilities. 

The liquid latex smelt like the ammonia from a hair salon. It took about six coats to get this thick. It has some stretch but not a lot surprisingly.

Fun plaster casting in the sun - I needed 15 hearts in total.

OH&S photo opportunity.

My installation chose to look at intimacy in the context of a hospital - the concentration of such intense  life events in a single space contrasted with the sanitised lifelessness of the building itself. It helped that the heart is a traditional symbol of intimacy but to represent it as it is - a bloodied, messy organ which sustains life - pushed the metaphor a bit further than that. I've enjoyed playing around with concepts in this course as much as I have the materials themselves. I can't believe I've only got a few more weeks (and still soooo much work) to go. Actually, I can't believe I've made it this far.....

4 comments:

  1. Amazing. You did a fantastic job, and I like the way you played with the theme of intamicy. Very thoughtful and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! kinda gory but love the imagery, you did well to survive the latex. Can't wait to see the others.
    good luck for the next few weeks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your commitment to your course. We are so proud of you. All the best for your final few weeks. lot of love and looking forward to seeing you soon. I have dropped by to your place a few times when I've been out walking Bailey -you are a busy girl and never seem to be home. Feel free to drop in any time ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so very talented. This is great and I hope you get through this semester. The dates you sent me for Pamula are absolutely fine. I shall drop by soon for a chat. xx

    ReplyDelete